ATLAS ULTRA CHALLENGE
11-15 September 2024
Take things higher with this Atlas Mountain Ultra Challenge! It’s 2 marathon distances over 2 days at your pace, set against the backdrop of North Africa’s highest mountain range. With snow-capped peaks, rugged valleys, Berber villages and a traditional Moroccan-style basecamp. This 5-day trip is action packed – a testing challenge, magnificent scenery, camping under the stars, camaraderie, full support, with the option to extend your stay in magical Marrakech afterwards. An unforgettable adventure – and an Ultra Challenge like no other!
Morocco is a fantastic country for anyone seeking thrills and adventure. A land of contrasts, with scenic coastlines, hot deserts and snowy mountains, there’s something for everyone. The Atlas Mountain range, North Africa’s highest, will be our destination for this unforgettable challenge. These rugged mountains form a natural barrier between the northern plains of Morocco, and the dry sands of the Saharan Desert to the south. You will take on 2 days of challenging terrain, covering 42km each day, through mountain passes and valleys. Expect some steep climbs and descents, breathtaking views, and first-class service & support.
We fly from London to Marrakech on Wednesday (a ‘land only’ option is also available) – and take a transfer to our mountain basecamp for dinner and rest. Early the next morning, we transfer to the start of today’s 42km trail. From here, you can walk, jog or run the route that will follow an old mining path, passing through Berber villages, and opening up into wide panoramas of the High Atlas. You will have rest stops and a lunch stop en route, before finally arriving back at the basecamp. The next day, it’s another 42km, reaching the high point of 2900m at the Tizi n Addi pass, and passing through Tachedirte (2450m), the highest village in the Atlas mountains. We have a final night at our Basecamp, with a celebration dinner. It’s then back to Marrakech where you have a free afternoon to explore, and a final night at a comfortable hotel.
Home for 3 memorable nights – and we go to some lengths to provide a few ‘home-comforts’ which may surprise you! There’s decent toilets, showers, good tents, a lively dining area, evening entertainment, a well stocked bar, a medical tent, and plenty of fantastic freshly prepared food by our local chefs.
A 42 km (26 mile) marathon distance challenge in the High Atlas Mountains – at your pace on each of the 2 days. Early starts on the both days, with stunning routes out & back to our basecamp – plus rest stops & lunch en route. On the Friday, at the 84km finish line – a big cheer, a medal, and a cold drink await, and if you have the energy there’s plenty of time for a celebration meal & maybe a glass of beer or wine at camp!
It’s your challenge – at your pace – and our support is geared up to handle leisurely walkers, seasoned Ultra runners, and all in between! The route is signed, our fully stocked rest stops will keep you going, and we have pace walkers & runners out on the course to team up with.
Just like our UK Ultra Challenges – you’ll find our support is second to none:
- Rest stops (am & pm) with snacks, drinks, toilets, medics
- Lunch stop at half way – cold buffet
- UK trip leader and core staff & medical team
- Signed route & local guides
- Showers & evening medical surgery + podiatrists
- Vehicle support.
- Medal & T-shirt
- Challenge App & training material
The challenge is fine for all levels of athletic ability – and you can join as an individual or couple and meet up with others, or as a team of friends or work colleagues and make it a group adventure to remember. You can sign up and Self Fund your place – (just like a holiday) – OR support a charity of your choice and fundraise. There’s a ‘Land Only‘ option if you want to organise & book your flight to make your travel arrangements easier – or maybe to stay in Jordan for extra days after (or before) your Ultra Challenge.
- Return flights (with full package – Land Only available)
- Transfers (on flights inc package)
- 3 nights camping
- Camping – tent & mattress on a single basis (you can request to share also)
- 1 night in Marrakech Hotel . Rooms are on a twin share basis (single supplement available)
- 2 days trekking / jogging / running
- Meals, snacks & drinks (bar type drinks are extra).
- Celebratory dinner at Basecamp
- Cold beer / drink & medal at the finish
- AM & PM rest stops & lunch stop
- Signed route & local guides
- Medical Team & podiatrists
- Challenge App with all the info
- Kit list & training plans
- FREE place on a 50 km UK Ultra Challenge
- Pre trip video briefing
- Atlas Ultra Challenge T Shirt
- For ‘Land Only’ package – Private transfers to basecamp (circa £100 for private 4×4 transfer – final price tbc)
- Personal kit, sleeping bag, & equipment
- Travel insurance (get it early – and make sure it covers ‘curtailment’ – in case you are unable to travel in September ’24)
- Alcoholic & fizzy drinks from the camp bar or hotels
- Any extra items, meals, or activities at a hotel
- Single supplement for 1 night at hotel (£120 extra)
- Tips for local camp crew (we recommend Euro 50 per participant – as the local crew work very hard!)
Day 1: Weds 11 Sep ’24 – Arrive Marrakech
- Depart London for Morocco
- Arrival and transfer to Atlas Mountain Basecamp
- Dinner and welcome briefing
Day 2: Thurs 12 Sep ’24 – 42km Oukaimeden – Tadmamte loop
- Breakfast at camp
- Short transfer from Basecamp to start of trail
- Follow old mining road to Tadmamte
- Join Berber trail to Asni, passing cliffside villages
- Lunch stop at Sidi Fares
- Final uphill stretch to return to Basecamp at Oukaimeden
- Dinner at camp with entertainment
Day 3: Fri 13 Sep ’24 – 42km Oukaimeden – Tachedirte loop
- Breakfast at camp
- Ascend from camp to Tizi n Addi pass (2900m)
- Descend on mule path to Tachedirte into Imnanen Valley
- Lunch stop at Imsker
- Ascend Ousertek Valley and return to Basecamp at Oukaimeden
- Finish line celebration
- Evening dinner with entertainment
Day 4: Sat 14 Sep ’24 – Marrakech
- Breakfast at camp
- Transfer to Marrekech hotel
- Free day to explore Marrakech
- Dinner at hotel
Day 5: Sun 14 Sep ’24 – Return to UK
- Breakfast at hotel
- Transfer to airport, de[pending on flight time
Full Itinerary – and route maps – will be posted soon.
Our full package is on a flights included basis – from UK (London) to Morocco with a low cost carrier. With all flight inclusive packages it means you would meet up with the group at the airport on departure day. Action Challenge has full ATOL coverage.
You can opt for a ‘Land Only’ package – and book your own flights with any airline, and then join up with our main group in Marrakech. This may suit you if departing from a non-London airport makes your arrangements easier – or if you want to add extra days after (or before) your Ultra Challenge itinerary to make the most of your visit to Morocco, and explore more of its fabulous sights.
If you’ve done one of our UK Ultra Challenges, or have already cracked our fantastic ‘Saharan Ultra Challenge’ in Morocco – you’ll know what to expect! This is the perfect “next challenge” for anyone looking to step things up having done an Ultra Challenge. There’s the same 1st class support & hospitality, combined with a great feeling of camaraderie from a group of up to 100 or so like-minded challengers. Whether you’re a keen walker, or a seasoned Ultra runner, you can join as an individual, with a friend, or as a group, and take the 2 marathon challenges on at your pace. It’s a great value ‘all inclusive’ package – for an unforgettable September 2024 challenge!
Prices & SIGN UP
Do it for yourself – or support a charity of your choice. Sign up online & pay an initial deposit to secure your place. Flights inclusive package – or Land Only option. All participants get a free place on a 50km UK Ultra Challenge of their choice to use as a ‘warm up’.
* Participants must be at least 18 years old on departure day. All participants will be required to sign a Medical Declaration & prove that they have the appropriate personal travel insurance cover in place.
Self Funding -
Pay for your event place in full, with no fundraising required.
Sponsorship for Charity
Pay a small registration fee & commit to fundraise for a charity of your choice.
Mixed Funding for Charity
Pay half your place, & fundraise a smaller target for your chosen charity.
Your financial protection: The packages & flights shown are ATOL protected by the CAA in the UK – ATOL number 6296. See booking conditions for more information.
Corporate Team Packages
Are you looking for a new Challenge and a fantastic way to reward & bond a group? Perhaps you have a charity of the year you’d also love to support?
If so, the Atlas Challenge could be perfect for your Team – to re-energise, get fit, and to enjoy an unforgettable adventure together! We provide flexible payment & fundraising options. Push yourselves further in 2024.